Tuesday, March 9, 2010

My 1st Attempt at Portraits

Update:
Overall I was still concerned that my background wasn’t white enough.  Well today, MCP Actions had a blog post about getting white background using actions. I decided to purchase it and try it out.  It did make the background whiter, but I still have more to learn about the actions and other editing.  His skin still looks a little off to me.  In the first edit, he looked too pale (also probably because it’s winter).  I gave him a tan using MCP Touch of Dark action, but I just realized that I forgot to adjust the opacity so that may have helped some.  It’s definitely a trial and error kind of learning curve.
Original:

I decided a while back that I was going to start taking my own kids birthday portraits.  In the past, I’ve only taken them to Sears, Walmart, and Portrait Innovations anyway.  I figured I could do as well as these places.  I ordered the white backdrop and number prop back in October.  I finally decided to give it a try on Friday since Cameron still has his 4-year old picture hanging up, Miriam just had her birthday, and the other ones have birthdays coming up.  I set up the backdrop outside on a north facing wall of our barn, based on this article.  I knew the color wouldn’t be exactly right.  I used some work lights that Craig had in the barn, but I don’t know how much they helped.  All my flash did was cast shadows on the backdrop.  I probably need to work some more on the editing of it, but this was my first stab at it.



Original
0310 066
Edited
8x10-0310 066
2nd edit
8x10-edit2-0310 066

8 comments:

Anonymous March 9, 2010 at 5:09 PM  

I would think that if you were outside you wouldn't need your flash - is it just the one that came on your camera or did you get an external one?

The edit came out great

J March 9, 2010 at 7:06 PM  

I love his outfit and pose. You did a great job - way better than Sears or JCP!

Leslee March 9, 2010 at 9:14 PM  

I think this is a really great job! This really intrigues me, as I would love to explore Photoshop more!!

The Adventures of a Simple Life March 9, 2010 at 10:35 PM  

Looks good, Candi. I think you did great! How much do you charge? :)

Tracy March 10, 2010 at 12:09 AM  

Not bad for your first try!

Jenn March 10, 2010 at 6:32 AM  

You did a great job! Not only does it look better, but it holds better memories knowing that you took them yourself.

Zelda March 10, 2010 at 7:33 AM  

Good job! You never know where you new found talent will take you. Keep up the good work.

Kathy C. March 11, 2010 at 10:55 AM  

What a great idea! My friend and I do a "photo" shoot and give photos to our hubby's each Valentines...I'd like to get one of those backdrops, as I usually use fabric...where'd you get it?

Blog Archive


About This Blog

Search This Blog

Followers

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP